Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Emily's Juicing Journey, Part 1

Ok folks...I'm doing it! I finally bit the bullet and bought a juicer. Now that I've done the research and invested the money, I'm just waiting (impatiently) for my beautiful Breville BJE200XL Compact Juice Fountain 700-Watt Juice Extractor to arrive...


(*not my image*)

My mom has been on to me for years to eat more fruits and veggies, and (more specifically) to eat less meat, and when I do eat meat, make sure it's free range/grass fed/organic/straight-off-the-farm. It's always been something at the back of my brain (and I always try to incorporate fresh fruits/veggies into my cooking), but not something I made a priority. Over the course of the year, I've started watching more documentaries, reading more articles and books, and talking to more people about plant-based diets/juicing. Here are some of the resources I'm talking about:
Now, I'm not saying I could EVER completely give up meat and dairy, but I will fully own up to the fact that I eat too much of these things and not enough produce. Lately I've been feeling really tired, sleepy, and lethargic...so you know what? I'm gonna try something new - something other than just my normal bursts of health and fitness, where I"ll exercise a bit more, eat a bit better, but ultimately fall off the bandwagon. 

I'm going to go on a veggie cleanse. Not a full-on juice cleanse (because we ALL know how grumpy Emily gets without some sort of food in her system), but something that's radically different enough from the norm to shock my system. So once my juicer arrives, I'm committing to the following:
  • 14 Day Detox
  • Two fresh juices a day (one in the morning, one in the evening)
  • Fresh veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains for my mid-day meal
  • No sweets
For any experience juicers out there - any tips? Recipes? Advice? I'm really excited to get going!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know how it goes, I have been wanting to juice for a long time too. Let me know what recipes you like the most! I hear pinterest has some good recipes. I have a board of recipes, but I haven't tried any of them, ha.

    ReplyDelete