Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Emily's Juicing Journey, Day 2

So....I went back and forth in my head for a good 24 hours - do I stick to the original plan I outlined:


  • 14 Day Detox
  • Two fresh juices a day (one in the morning, one in the evening)
  • Fresh veggies, lean proteins, and whole grains for my mid-day meal
  • No sweets

Versus complete and utter 24/7 JUICE. I made it a full 24 hours on just juice...and then I realized that come on - this is ME we're talking about here. Emily? Emily who LOVES food and LOVES to cook and LOVES to eat surviving for 2 full weeks on nothing but juice??? Without biting anyone's head off??? 

No no, I think that's a bit too ambitious. I've got to stop setting unrealistic goals for myself and just assess where I'm at and what I can feasibly handle. So today, I had juice for breakfast (apple, nectarine, rhubarb,  grapefruit, ginger, celery, strawberries) which was really tasty, and I made juice for lunch...I don't know what I was thinking with the lunch one - it was AWFUL. Cabbage, celery, radishes, carrots, tomato, apple, broccoli. No no no no no...never again. And then I had the bright idea to add in protein powder. Nope - way worse. I drank about 14 oz of that before I couldn't anymore and then went to Clover and got an Egg & Eggplant - Pita, hummus (tahini, lemon juice, garlic, chickpeas, tiny bit of baking soda, salt), eggplant, cucumber tomato salad (cucumbers, tomatoes, salt, lemon juice, spices), hard boiled Chip In Farm egg, tahini (tahini, lemon juice, salt, water). Calories 418 kcal, Carbohydrates 43 g, Fat 19 g, Protein 17 g, Fiber 11 g, Cholesterol 212 mg. I think I can handle that :)

So lessons learned: 
  • For the sanity of Emily and all who surround her, she needs to eat at least a little bit every day
  • Don't make juice completely of veg (cause it's probably pretty gross)
  • Don't add protein powder to juice
  • Don't set unrealistic goals or judge yourself too harshly when you have to modify the plan 

(Today's breakfast)

Cheers,

Em

2 comments:

  1. Hey--I just noticed the little slide show. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe be more generous with the tomato and add some garlic powder and chilli. The ingredients sound like V8, which is lovely. I expect you can develop a recipe.

    ReplyDelete